Reforestation Manager (Planting & Silviculture)
Consultant Megan Prosser
Date posted 13 July 2022johannesburg mining-engineering-operations/project-management 2022-08-03 2022-09-11 agriculture-fishing-and-forestry Johannesburg Gauteng ZA Robert Walters https://www.robertwalters.co.za https://www.robertwalters.co.za/content/dam/robert-walters/global/images/logos/web-logos/square-logo.png
A conglomerate company with its subsidiary in the forest plantation sector covering upstream forest management and downstream integrated timber management is seeking Senior Positions in Reforestation (Planting & Silviculture) to be based in (Sarawak) East Malaysia.
About the Senior Positions in Reforestation (Planting & Silviculture) Role:
In this Senior Positions in Reforestation (Planting & Silviculture) role, you will be overseeing centralised nursery and multiple plantations that are widely scattered which possess its own management and logistic challenges. Reporting to the Head of Reforestation, this role will have the responsibility to lead the entire breeding programme, nursery, and replanting exercise for across 100,000 Ha of active plantations across East Malaysia.
- Lead a team of Silviculturist, Tree Nursery Manager, R&D Manager and Plantation Manager
- Ensure propagation and cultivation of the tree seedlings/clones (Acacia Mangium, A. Crassicarpa, and Eucalyptus Pellita) to meet the company’s annual planting demand
- Ensure the company’s nursery infrastructure are well maintained, including the irrigation system and stores, and inventory and purchasing of seeds/any clonal material
- Evaluate the work plan and budget for tree nursery, replanting and plantation operational activities to optimise operation expenses vs estate budget plans
- Track the implementation of operational activities and the use of budget plantation periodically to ensure activities are conducted in accordance with the work plan and budget use conducted in accordance with the provisions
- Provide input with respect to the organizational structure of the plantation to ensure an effective and efficient organisation as well as the fulfilment of manpower as needed
- Manage regular site visits across the estate with plantation managers to assess the condition
- Be actively involved in working towards Forestry Stewardship Council (FSC) certification, ILO, ISO and Health and Safety initiatives
For you to excel in this role, a background in general management and people management of overall silviculture (Acacia, Carpa, and Eucalyptus) is an advantage. Due to the large-scale plantation, technology adoption and tech-savviness using GIS and other technology is encouraged. This role will heavily involve with P&L, budget, productivity, reporting and organisation leadership.
- At least a bachelor’s degree in agriculture/forestry from a recognised university/college or equivalent
- At least 20 years of experience working with forest plantation operations with five years in a senior leadership role (equivalent to AGM or GM level) in managing people and plantation, preferably in Acacia, Carpa, and Eucalyptus)
- Experience in large-scale tree breeding programmes and nursery operations
- Familiarity with R&D procedures for forest plantations
- Experience with Free Prior Informed Consent (FPIC), and proven ability to resolve social/land claim issues
- Ability for the overall management, P&L, project management, legal compliance, handling conflict, and quality improvement
- Working knowledge of the Malay language is an advantage
The company has a long history in forest management and forest plantation and has amassed over 400,000 hectares of forest across East Malaysia and abroad. With this developing company, the expansion of the operation led to developing more career opportunities for its employee in the future.
If you are a driven and forward-thinking leader looking for an opportunity to grow your career, this Senior Positions in Reforestation (Planting & Silviculture) role is an excellent opportunity to work in a fast-growing company.
Upon submitting your application, you consent to your personal data being transferred to overseas for processing.
Apply now or contact Lim Chee Ming on +603 2303 7047 or email to email@example.com quoting the Job Title.
Salary: NegotiableLocation: JohannesburgDate posted: 13 July 2022A conglomerate company with its subsidiary in the forest plantation sector covering upstream forest management and downstream integrated timber management is seeking Senior Positions in Reforestation (Planting & Silviculture) to be based in (Sarawak) East Malaysia.