Legal Advisor - Insurance
Consultant Megan Korber
Date posted 24 October 20192019-11-04 2019-12-23 legal Johannesburg Gauteng 22 Oxford Road, Parktown, Johannesburg ZA 2193 ZAR 600000 750000 750000 YEAR Robert Walters https://www.robertwalters.co.za https://www.robertwalters.co.za/content/dam/robert-walters/global/images/logos/web-logos/square-logo.png
An exciting in-house opportunity has just became available for an Admitted Attorney with extensive in-house insurance experience (3-5 years) within the insurance industry.
To provide legal advisory services and support to the Partner Solutions business by providing effective and efficient 1st line of defence and business assurance support. The function will support and enable the business to ensure that regulatory and other legal risks are effectively managed, ensuring business sustainability and growth.
- Providing appropriate legal advice, legal interpretation and legal opinions
- Identifying, advising on and evaluating legal risk
- Supporting and enabling the business to develop policies and procedures to effectively manage the legal risks identified
- Providing pro-active support and innovation in the structuring of all partnerships to ensure compliance with legislation
- Reviewing and signing off policy wordings and other related documents as requested by the business
- Managing litigation processes by briefing and appointing attorneys in litigation matters and facilitating the defending or settling of litigation matters
- Assisting and providing support with the legal due diligence process by identifying legal risks and enabling the business to implement the appropriate controls to mitigate these risks
- Conducting strategic reporting on business relevant issues with the purpose of identifying trends in order to mitigate and prevent future risks
- Researching and analysing the implications of case law, legislation and regulatory matters
- Providing all stakeholders with regular information regarding new legislation (including new Bills, Acts, Regulations, Standards, Directives and Case Law) through training, creating awareness, drafting practice notes and updating the partners on upcoming changes to existing legislation
- Interpreting all new legislation and regulation and preparing high level impact analyses
- Managing outsourcing legal services in terms of engagement with external Attorneys and managing legal costs
- Drafting and reviewing contracts to ensure that contracts entered into are drafted, reviewed, interpreted and vetted in line with the Contract Management process.
- Admitted Attorney
- 3-5 years experience as a legal advisor in the insurance industry, including Long or Short-term insurance experience (essential)
- Preference will be given to EE/AA candidates
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Insurance legislation and regulations including, the Short Term Insurance Act, the Long Term Insurance Act, FAIS
- General knowledge of the financial services and insurance industry
- ASISA & SAIA Standards
If you are an Admitted Attorney with 3-5 years experience within the insurance industry, looking to take the next step in your career, please apply today!