Compliance and Records Officer
Consultant Petra Cooper
Date posted 16 February 20183 Lower Road Johannesburg 2193 Robert Walters South Africa
An exciting Compliance and Records Officer position has become available with an Independent Investment Banking Firm reporting directly to the Head of Compliance.
About the Compliance and Records Officer role:
In this business critical Compliance and Records Officer role you will assist the business to meet its need by facing the regulatory environment and form part of a professional team helping to protect the business from regulatory and reputational risk. You will be instrumental to establish and maintain a Compliance Culture contributing to the overall objective of prudent Compliance Management.
Key responsibilities of the Compliance and Records Officer role:
FAIS and FICA Compliance Function
- To contribute strategically to the success of the Compliance function.
- Contribute to the on-going improvement of the effectiveness of the Compliance team through the proactive identification of weaknesses and the implementation of solutions. This includes contributing to and in some cases leading change projects.
- Contribute to the strategic direction of Compliance through proactive input of Compliance developments in the industry, and ideas for functional change.
- Share regulatory, technical product and transactional business knowledge across the business.
- Provide overall support to the Head of Compliance.
- To maintain and/or establish document management processes across the business.
- Develop and/or implement records management procedures and policies.
- Ensure that all records are kept in safe custody, either in hard or electronic versions, and are easilycc to all duly authorised users.
- To ensure that relevant corporate information, including corporate memory and heritage, is available, accessible and can be identified and retrieved.
- Facilitate the development of filing systems and maintain these to meet administrative legal and financial requirements.
- Set up, maintain, review and document records systems. Ensure full compliance with relevant legislation and regulations.
- Resolve problems with information retention, access and collaboration, through the effective use of software and other information management resources.
Education and Experience Required for the Compliance and Records Officer role:
- Tertiary degree, with a strong preference for a candidate who has a legal qualification;
- Five years (minimum) experience in a Corporate Compliance advisory function.
- Experience in investment or commercial banking, relevant financial services environment.
- Experience in Corporate products, operations activities, processes and controls.
- Meet all Fit and Proper and other relevant requirements to be appointed as Compliance Officer under FAIS and FICA.
Knowledge & Skills
- Excellent command of written and spoken English.
- Ability to analyse information, interpret and give relevant guidance on applicable regulations, and make appropriate decisions.
- Knowledge of and ability to interpret regulations.
- Broadly understands the legislative and regulatory landscape and requirements imposed by the South African regulators, including the Financial Services Board and the Financial Intelligence Centre.
- Personal and interpersonal effectiveness.
- Effective relationship building with all stakeholders.
- Ability to work closely with business colleagues to negotiate and liaise effectively with them in order to persuade and encourage compliant behaviour at all times.
- Commercial effectiveness.
- Risk and control understanding.
- Accountable for work.
- Proactive in driving solutions.
- Ability to make clear decisions based on rational grounds.
If you are a self-motivated individual with strong stakeholder engagement skills looking for the next step in your career, this Compliance and Records Officer role is for you!